The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from or where it is going... John 3:8

Sunday, June 17, 2012

happy father's day, daddy....

There's just something special about the relationship between a Daddy and his little girl.  Fathers feel especially protective of their daughters and that doesn't change no matter how old you get.  It took me a long time to really appreciate my Daddy for who he is.  In fact, it took about 40 years.  In my earlier years we didn't have much of a relationship.  I think in many ways religion kept us apart.  He wasn't big on church and well, church was my whole life.  I'm ashamed to say that set me up for a "holier-than-thou" attitude and so I spent years judging my own father just because he liked to have a beer every night. And yet, I never went without as a child.  Daddy saw to it that I had a "princess room" complete with a canopy bed.  If I wanted something and it was within his power to get it, then it was mine.  

Daddy grew up poor on the streets of Miami, FL.  He was raised, along with his younger brother and sister, by an alcoholic grandfather and a very strong, opinionated grandmother that he called "Nana".  By the time he graduated high school he knew if he wanted a life he would have to join the military.  So off to Parris Island he went to become a US Marine.  This further shaped him into the man he is.  Loud, opinionated, tells it like it is, and yet he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.  This was the Daddy who always made sure I had a dime in my pocket in case I needed to call him.

Daddy has always loved guns and has had quite the collection ever since I can remember.  He keeps them locked up in a gun-cabinet where they are safe from curious little hands.   Daddy spends a lot of time at the shooting range but he lives for hunting season.  Whether it's squirrels or deer, you will always find him in the woods on opening day.  And yes, he would always bring home his "kill" wherewith we would then get to partake of fried squirrel or venison stew.  I always found squirrel to be a bit chewy and I could totally live without venison.  Never could get used to that "wild" taste.

One day I got to see daddy's hunting skills up close and personal when a rabid dog got loose in our neighborhood.  Everyone was scared to death until the day that dog showed up in our driveway foaming at the mouth and growling.  Daddy promptly got one of his rifles and shot that dog on the spot.  You could hear the echo ring out for what seemed like miles.  I cried even though I understood it had to be done. Daddy was brave that day.  He saved the whole neighborhood.  And I couldn't have been more proud.

As for pets, Daddy always had a fish tank.  This was about as close to having a pet as I got tho we did have a couple of dogs when I was little.  I remember one named Lady who lived in our fenced-in backyard.  I'm not sure whatever happened to her.  Then I got a little puppy which I named Butterball but she got ran over and that was the end of us having dogs so fish it was.  It seems dad's favorite fish were guppies.  One time the fish tank cracked and we came home to find guppies all over the carpet.  In no time though, Daddy had another fish tank up and running.  And I couldn't help but notice this tank was even bigger than the one before.

One of my favorite times growing up was Halloween.  Daddy was really good at homemade costumes.  One year he fixed me up has a hobo.  He took charcoal from the grill and dirtied my face up then packed me up a  hobo bag and off I went trick-or-treating.  Another year he made me a witch.  It was fun having a green face.  I think if there had been a best-costume contest I would have surely won.  I suppose it was his artistic ability that made him so good at face art.  He could look at anything and draw it.  One of my favorite things about daddy was when he would write poems and draw Disney characters.  He's always had a creative streak that I loved.  

Donald William Pratt is now 75 yrs. old.  He's bald with piercing blue eyes and a hearty laugh who loves to tell jokes and give advice.  He is fiercely loyal to those he loves.  And I am proud to say he has been my father for 47 years.  Even though we live hundreds of miles apart I know he's always just a phone call away.  And If I really needed him he would be in his truck headed to NC in a heartbeat.  Daddys make their little girls feel protected, even when we're grown women.  I am thankful to still have my Dad around and I just wanted to take this day to honor him.  Happy Father's Day, Daddy.

I love you,
Poochie

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Donna! Our Dad's had a lot in common. Almost everything. Wish I could call my dad today and wish him a Happy Father's day, but I'm real happy you still can.
    Love your heart Donna Jean..
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a wonderful note on your Daddy. It caused me to remember some rich memories of my Dad, an avid hunter. Grew up shooting trap, fishing and driving John Deer lawn mowers. Yep, it's great being a daughter, that much I know! ~Lori L.

    ReplyDelete